Fwd: Re: Maude licensed under GPL, 2.0 approaching

Massimo Dentico m.dentico@virgilio.it
Mon Jun 2 13:03:01 2003

As suggested by Brian, I forward this private e-mail exchange to the list,
only sligltly edit and purged of details not relevant here. Follow in
another post his replay.

------------------- Forwarded message ------------------------------------
From: "Massimo Dentico" <m.dentico@virgilio.it>
To: "Brian T Rice" <water@tunes.org>
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 1:25 AM
Subject: Re: Maude licensed under GPL, 2.0 approaching

Hello Brian,

thanks for this update on Maude development status.

I'm curious: there is a private mailing list for developers only?

[..]

My idea for a next step for Tunes is to advance in parallel different
aspects of the system:

1) to explore what we can "steal" from Maude as high level declarative
   language and what to change or inject to approach Tunes ideas;

2) how to express Maude implementation in Maude itself or how to bootstrap
   our Maude/Tunes (M/T from now), or:

   a) how to express in M/T the transformation from term rewriting
      to BDD (I don't know if this makes sense: I'm speaking without
      a true knowledge of the Maude implementation). In case for M/T
      we can research how to go beyond term (or graph/string/whatever)
      rewriting and capture the concept of rewriting in general,
      abstracting from the nature of base objects with our abstract
      notion of object (or someone have done this already?);

   b) how to model low level (machine) entities, beginning from the CPU,
      in M/T;

   c) at last, how to map the transformation in a) in terms of entities
      in b);

3) co-evolving the spec with feedback from 1) and 2).

Note that in a) the underlying assumption is that the implementation of
Maude is state of the art wrt rewriting systems but I'm absolutely
conscious that, for the nature of the system itself, this choice is not
mandatory.

I remember also a list of "experiments" (in and about Tunes) in a
e-mail by Faré on the LL1 mailing list but I have not a reference
at hand. IIRC, some are about self-organization, emergent properties
and alike. On the subject I don't know if you have noticed that parts
of Maude are to be used in ADATE's successor, see bottom of page of:

  http://www-ia.hiof.no/~rolando/adate_intro.html

This is only a rough sketch, just to start a discussion: some parts are
missing, other are trivialized.

Of course we need to show how better, wrt other usual approaches, all this
stuff actually solves real problems.

Regards.

--
Massimo Dentico