Type Theory and Functional Programming

Joerg F. Wittenberger Joerg F. Wittenberger" <Joerg.Wittenberger@pobox.com
Sat Mar 15 04:15:02 2003

Hi Brian,

> While this is a reasonable suggestion, functional programming as you
> describe it is not useful enough for Tunes. The current website doesn't
> make this explicit enough,

It would be _really_ useful, if the website could make the _reasons_
explicit, why functional programming is not useful enough.

There is a nice article - I can't find the reference right now - which
basically shows that the only difference between functional and
non-functional programming is the fact that the former can proof their
results, while the latter can't.  I do have the feeling that our
mathematics is just the way it is, because over the thousends of
years, we never found a better theory.  Hence I'm very sceptical, when
there is a note like "not enough" towards math.  (I'm not saying you
are wrong, I just say: please proof you statement.)

> but of course that's not really your problem.
> At any rate, thank you, but please do a little more research before such
> blanket suggestions.

And _please_ be a little more polite with those, who failed to find
everything.  Furthermore, it might have been a suggestion.  Wasn't it?
I'm sorry to say that, but a suggestion should always be welcome.  I
already feel sorry for the TUNES list being not as effective as it
could be, just because the _tone_ is not productive, while the content
is.

Best Regards

/Jörg

--
The worst of harm may often result from the best of intentions.