Updates

Brian T Rice water@tunes.org
Tue May 27 20:30:01 2003

Sorry for the lack of insightful (inciteful? :) content lately. Here are
some general comments and notifications:

The Learning Lounge issues raised sound like good ideas, but I can't
really contribute directly. My perspective is really far from being able
to say what will or won't work for people without the training. I can
tutor and instruct, but that's different.

My main effort is going into Slate at the moment, making the bootstrap
happen, and building out libraries and other facilities, like exception-
handling (which we're borrowing from Dylan, which is an improvement -
well, a rationalization - on Common Lisp's system), the interface
libraries, and an emacs inferior mode (which does work). There's also a
meta-object protocol that someone implemented in Squeak+Prolog which is
very generic and designed for partial evaluation and dynamic composition,
called Universal Composition, which I link to from
http://cliki.tunes.org/Methods%20of%20Reflection . The paper associated
with it is not very good, and un-published, but the basic ideas are useful
for us, I believe. If someone has the time, please look it over and give
your comments, and do try to look past the medium and observe the core
ideas separated from the Squeak/OOP or Prolog context.

The specification and related work are not far from my mind, but without
some discussion over it, it's difficult to advance.

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development