A revolutionary OS/Programming Idea

Matthew Danish mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 3 15:01:01 2003

A few more places to go:

http://www.squeak.org/

http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~moeller/symbolics-info/symbolics.html
 (In particular, read about Genera)

Structure editors were popular with the Interlisp community but I can't
find any decent online documentation about it.

Teitelman, W., and Masinter, L. The Interlisp programming environment.
IEEE Computer 14, 4 (1981), 25--34

Emacs can pretend to be a structure editor, in addition it is a highly
programmable environment (though it has some glaring deficiencies which
wouldn't exist if it had been written in a real programming language
such as Common Lisp (or something even better)).

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 02:07:52PM -0700, John Newman wrote:
> Answer me this:  What is better, a hundred expert
> programmers collaborating on a project, or a million
> mediocre programmers, all slowly working in parrallel
> (along with a hundred expert programmers)?

Can't resist: neither! A few truly expert programmers are better than
both.

For a start on why this might be the case, you can try reading Frederick
Brooks's _The Mythical Man Month_, and then reflect on the failures of
large-scale software engineering.

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.