A revolutionary OS/Programming Idea

Lynn H. Maxson Lynn H. Maxson" <lmaxson@pacbell.net
Wed Oct 8 08:36:03 2003

Tom Novelli writes:
"...If I was using PL/I, I'd define "int" as a 32-bit integer unless
I was trying to write highly portable code.. I know it'll work
efficiently on my machine, and there's no sense worrying
about precisely how many bits each variable needs, as long as
32 is enough.  I'm not saying C is better than PL/I.. but it helps
to keep programmers from being unrealistic."

Apparently you failed to appreciate why the UNIX industry
founded the OSF (Open Systems Foundation).  When you
discovered that C did not have the "portability" that
customers with multiple platforms (or wanting to transfer to a
different platform) installed wanted, but only that restricted
form envisioned by K&R ease the task of writing a compiler
(porting).  Customers tend to regard portability of data as
equally important as that of source code.

The principal villain here was "int", which frankly would never
occur with "fixed bin (31)" regardless of the underlying
platform architecture.  You see unlike "int" it's portable.  You
don't need a standards committee, only a clear statement by
the programmer.<g>

There's a difference between being realistic and lazy,
between portable and non-portable, and between optimal and
non-optimal.  There's also a difference between the match
you have with the problem and solution set.  If you want
portability, choose PL/I.  If you want near assembly language
capabilities, choose PL/I.  If you want the casual reader to
more easily master reading of source, choose PL/I.

C may have become a popular choice, but popular does not
mean best or better.