A revolutionary OS/Programming Idea

Lynn H. Maxson Lynn H. Maxson" <lmaxson@pacbell.net
Thu Oct 9 10:10:02 2003

John Newman writes:
"...Sometimes we think that when evolution theory refers to
'chance,' we mean randomness.  What we really mean is
'unpredictable,' relative to present human standards.  But for
one to talk rationally about any concept, beit evolution or
whatever, one must apply cause and effect.  Any other
method employs the 'god of the gaps.'  We don't need to be
creating unnecessary black boxes (however tantalizing that
may sound)."

As I suggested earlier you need a good dose of "Language,
Thought, and Reality: Selected Writings of Benjamin Lee
Whorf" and just to crowd it a little more Korzybski's "Science
and Sanity".  I could continue with a litany of others perused
over my longtime involvement in the study of general
semantics.

In software the basic building block, our universal black box,
is the IPO (Input/Process/Output).  We connect them to make
systems.  We could say that the input represents cause and
the output effect.  But the minute we put two of them
together we find that the effect of one is the cause of the
next.  If we put the two of them as a closed cycle as a system
with feedback, cause and effect become indistinguishable.

We do wierd things things in a language like english with our
subject-verb map we place on reality.  We say, "The lightning
flashed" when no separation is possible: the lightning and the
flashing represent a single phenomenon.

In english we have a concept of "private property" or
"ownership" due to the presence of "possessive pronouns".
Languages without them have no such concept.  In short we
use language to create maps of reality.  Sometimes we
irrationally try to make reality fit (conform) to our maps
instead of making changes to our maps to better fit the
territory.

The general semanticist would say, "Whatever you say
something is it is not.": the map is not the territory.  We poor
software people might offer (as I have in the past) that you
cannot sit in the shade of a simulated tree.

I tried to do a google search on a different book by E. F.
Schumacher, author of "Small is Beautiful" in which what we
can seek to know of reality falls into four categories, only
one of which includes the scientific method, the predictive
science of cause and effect.  Cause and effect are two sides
of the same coin.  From any cause (the effect of some earlier
cause) the effect is what occurs next regardless of its
predictability.  Cause and effect, this sequence, represents
arbitrary "cuts" in an otherwise continuous process.  Reality is
ongoing, never hesitating regardless of the arbitrary "stops"
we engage with our language, our map of the process.  In
reality no "god of the gaps" occurs as no "gap" exists.

"... An assertion not founded in evidence.  Von Neumann
machines are based on the concept of universality--It can
emulate any other machine.  The human brain is Universal
machine precisely because the brain can abstract a conception
of any given 'possible' machine.  The catch is, one's brain must
be at least as complex as any machine it can emulate. ..."

Von Neumanm machines can emulate other von Neumann
machines.  To say otherwise to quote you is "an assertion not
founded in evidence".<g>  We have no evidence that the brain
is a "universal machine".  In fact we have evidence to the
contrary.  It cannot conceive every possible machine, of which
the "given" ones remain only a subset.

"...Many agree that computers are universal, because a mac
can emulate a pc and vice versa, etc. ..."

Well, it's always somewhat disturbing when so many exist in
denial, using the rules of mathematical induction
inappropriately.  Computers are not universal machines, for
the simple reason they are based entirely on formal logic and
it implementation in logic circuits, "ands", "ors", "nots", etc..
They may be universal within the realm of logic machines, one
capable of expressing any other.  They are not universal with
respect to non-logic-circuit-based systems, systems not
subject to logical decomposition.

You see you are making an assertion here, not something
which is either true or false, but unproven.  That proof
process continues.  A RISC architecture can emulate a CISC
one because it was designed with that purpose specifically in
mind.

"...Statement based on unfounded assertion (see above).
Matter is the machine that exhibits, or one could say, emulates
life and intelligence.  We can emulate matter in
computers(when we figure it out).  ..."

"Whatever you say something is it is not."  Matter does not
exist except as a word, machine does not exist except as a
word.  Life does not exist except as a word.  Intelligence does
not exist except as a word.  These words are "map" terms
different from the territory.  They are our "inventions".
Unfortunately we can work with them in ways that we cannot
in reality.  They are for our convenience.  Reality does very
well without them.<g>

We cannot emulate matter in computers.  To do so implies
that it is decomposable, that reality (the name we give to it)
can somehow be broken up, stopped, separated, and yet
remain the same.  Whenever you do this you deny its very
essence.   If you want to fly in the face of Heisenberg's
Principle of Uncertainty, be my guest.  You will not end up
with reality.

"...So, first, you must formulate an argument against a
mechanistic nature.  Then you have the problem of proving
that this 'non-mechanical' black box can interface in a
mechanistic way with the mechanisms that are evidenced by
nature (like evolution and sentience--both prominent black
boxes in creationism). ..."

Again "mechanisms", "evolution", "sentience", and "black
boxes" exist only in our maps and not necessarily in the
territory.  In fact they may inhibit our ability to understand it.
We can engage in fantasies with our words.  Reality has no
use for it.

"...What of a function like phi/Golden-Ratio?  Is its
inexolerably resultant infinite sequence an intention of
someone who implements the function?  How can it be when
it is impossible for any programmer to know the entirety of
the outputting sequence?  No one can influence the evolution
of phi or pi.  For all intents and purposes, they evolve on their
own. ..."

I've hear this illogical argument before from supposedly logical
people.  The fact that we cannot predict all possible outcomes
does not mean they are not predictable.  As they are
software based we know they are predictable.  We know that
if we had a infinitely long life we could emulate the same
progression with the same results.

"... So, evolution likely harnesses search functions which
exhibit this type of unboundedly complex output, thus
maximizing the search space.  From what I know about
complexity science, that's my take on it. ..."

Evolution doesn't exist in reality.  It is our "crutch" that we
employ in our maps of it.  Do not confuse the map with the
territory.  We need to understand that all these words we
have created may or may not actually represent what occurs
in reality.

The only distinction I make here lies in the assertion of a
non-programmable machine, one whose program does not lie
in an instruction set.  It doesn't program itself (as it doesn't
have to) and you can't program it without interfering with
what it would do on its own.  With an instruction set you may
emulate but not replicate it.  In doing so you will have created
something else.  I am not arguing for or against the usefulness
of such  an approach, only that whatever results will not will
not be the "same" as what you emulate.

If that's not your concern, then at least have the courtesy to
remind others as well as yourself that the emulated results
work "as if" they were the real thing, consciously reminding
yourself that they are "not" the real thing.  The difference
continues to exist.  When you get away from the implications
of "as if" that's when you confuse the map with the
territory.<g>