A revolutionary OS/Programming Idea

Lynn H. Maxson Lynn H. Maxson" <lmaxson@pacbell.net
Fri Oct 10 08:52:03 2003

John Newman writes:
"Lynn, the whole notion of QM is based on the "quantum"
of energy.  That means a finite amount of energy and
matter."

I don't want to see us talking by each other.  I'm not
concerned about the amount of energy and matter, two sides
of the same coin, in the universe.  Mathematically it can't be
infinite.  So finite remains the "other" choice.  However,
neither affects that all "quanta" is in motion and that what
distinguishes their effect at one level where our vision makes
distinctions disappears at a lower level.  The universe remains
a seamless whole in which the boundaries of the parts, the
quanta if you will, become indistinct.

In short our language breaks up that which is unbroken.  We
live in a world of processes, not one process of processes, and
of objects, one of separation and not of connection, one of
thingness and not of densities in motion.  We create the
concept of time which doesn't even exist in the universe.  We
create events, separate instances, where no such separation
occurs.

It's little wonder that after much of a lifetime spent with
misleading maps that some find solace in zen buddhism where
they place great emphasis on getting language out of the way
between you and the universe to where you can come to
feeling the "oneness" that actually exists.

This is no anti-science statement on my part.  I'm a firm
believer in the scientific method and the transformation of
fact into knowledge and knowledge into wisdom.  As a side
note I did locate the other book by E. F. Schumacher.  It's "A
Guide for the Perplexed".  You may not consider yourself
among that group, but I do think you might find it interesting.

We invented logic.  Reality has no need for it.  Reality in fact
has no need for a word expressing it.  That's a human need, a
human interpretation, the naming of a perceived phenomenon.
We have means based on all our senses to express our
interpretation, spoken language, mathematical language,
music, art.  But they are never the phenomenon and never
more than some abstraction of it.  That means something is
always left out.

Sentience, intelligence, reasoning, thinking, and evolution are
our interpretations, our abstractions from reality.  We have a
history of false interpretations, of words outliving their lies.  It
means that we have to always remember that something is
never what we say it is: the word is not the thing.  That
doesn't reduce our reliance on words and what we can
achieve with their use.  It simply means that we continue to
exercise caution when dealing with any abstraction,
recognizing it as such that something is always left out.

Personally I don't think we can emulate a single neuron in
software.  We haven't done it yet even though we picked that
name for what we did emulate in software.  We did the same
for different collections which we call neural nets.  As near as
I can tell from everything I have read the neuron operates
more as a catalyst, a passive agent in the process.  The active
agents are the interconnections and the motions, the flow
that occurs.  Patterns occur due to near simultaneous
densities, occurrences, of motions whose order and frequency
of repetition, enforcement of pattern remain random when
undirected.  Somehow, through a mechanism we don't
understand even though we invent names for it, we can
impose "sense" and "purposefulness" on it.

So we have a phenomenon which allows us to create a
language but have no means in language to create the
phenomenon.  Herein lies a difference in our "thinking" in
terms of absolutes.  Our language, any of our sense-based
languages, allows us to, in fact forces us to decompose a
phenomenon.  That leads us to believe that all phenomenon
are decomposable into finite units subject to serialization in an
instruction set.  We've done it successfully in so many areas
that by induction we believe we can do in all areas.  We do
not accept that phenomenon exist that cannot persist
throughout a process of decomposition.  Therein you and I
disagree.

So we have not emulated a neuron.  I'm not confident that we
can even come close.  But given that we can reach that
so-called point of "indistinguishableness", we have to move on
to emulate the dynamics of the connections.  Once there then
the dynamics of the densities of the dynamic fuzziness of the
motions occurring through the interconnections.

I've only suggested so far that at least one demonstration of
adaptive behavior has occurred through goal-oriented
(homeostasis) organization of an interconnection of "same"
components without the need for programming.  If you don't
have the need for programming, you don't have the need for
an instruction set.  If you don't have an instruction set, then
you have no limitations on the development of different
instruction sets: the different sense-based forms of
expression.

That admits to a possibility, not a certainty, that a
phenomenon, that which produces a result, may have a
"character", an "attribute", or a "being" that never transfers
into a result.  That means that no result or any combination
thereof can reproduce the phenomenon.

Thus short of actual replication of the brain and nervous
system through biological means we will not achieve either.
The fact is that we don't like to make investments, in this
instance a truly huge investment in money, time, and effort,
with high risks, i.e. indeterminism (or if you like "free
will"<g>).  We can get more for our money, more reliably and
cheaply, through sexual intercourse and a relatively short
wait.<g>