cliki changes + opinions + XML

Joerg F. Wittenberger Joerg F. Wittenberger" <Joerg.Wittenberger@softeyes.net
Sun Feb 15 04:59:01 2004

<schizophonic@tiscali.it> writes:

>>Someone posted these links. They are welcome, of course,
>>but note that these probably correct only some syntactic
>>annoyance of XML. -- Mad70
>
> I was the one : )
> Unfortunately my changes still are not logged : (
> so I will report them by hand in order for people to check them.
> Of course only those I can remember. I exclude all the stuff I am
> putting under Operating Systems Review, which can be easily
> checked.
>
> 1- Added a remark under Glossary -> Reflection saying that
> with the world it is also meant the operation inverting reification, and
> that deification and absorption are sometimes used as synonims
> for the word in that meaning. Also fixed links to Reflection review
> (Methods of Reflection).

Somehow I have the feeling that this statement is not correct.  But
I'm not a native english speaker, so please correct me.

To my understanding "reification" is more synonymic to
"instantioation", not reflection.

In an effort to save you from my posting, I just read into the spec
document (I seen it haven't before).  Nice work.  I'd love to do more
than just reference it from www.askemos.org/AskemosBackground .  I'd
love to reuse text parts instead of re-typing basically identical
definitions.  Do you mind?

> unless you are also referring to XSL. But I admit I have almost NO
> knowledge of such a horrible thing as XML.

No matter how horrible it looks alike!  XML really got some structural
things right (e.g., to distinguish between denotational, contextual
and meta level expressions).  Even more important: standard is better
than better; at least under certain curcumstances.  Do you have an
idea of LISP?  If you do, than add modules and module-local symbols
and you've got to know exactly what XML is.  This identity is actually
a great thing, as it allows to show the explain semantics behind the a
certain denotation, since you can just switch the latter and see what
is retained - the structure.

best regards

/Jörg

--
The worst of harm may often result from the best of intentions.