news about TUNES

Francois-Rene Rideau fare at tunes.org
Wed Jun 16 16:26:14 PDT 2004

Dear TUNESers,

here are some news as to the little I'm doing.

As for CTO,
	http://cliki.tunes.org/
I have hopefully solved all the pending issues.
	http://cliki.tunes.org/CLiki%20Bugs
The most horrible part was a pair of apache bugs.
	http://tunes.org/
Reverse-engineering all that butt-ugly C code
from a praised poster-child of "open-source"
is a good reminder of why I want to get out of the Matrix
	http://cliki.tunes.org/C%20Compiler%20%20%20dlopen%20VM

In case I didn't announce it earlier, I've blogged about CTO
	http://www.livejournal.com/users/fare/50397.html

I also wrote a piece about dynamic software development in general
	http://www.livejournal.com/users/fare/50547.html
Might interest Basile, who was interested in making OCaml persistent.

Another piece that will interest him is this piece
about dynamic schema evolution that I found while Googling:
	"Managing Class Evolution in Object-Oriented Systems" by Eduardo Casais
	http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~oscar/OOSC/PDF/Casa95aEvolution.pdf

Speaking of Basile, he had the opportunity to see Jacques Pitrat's MACISTE
in action, which he says is impressive both by its achievements way ahead
of its time, and by its rudimentary aspects way behind the times.
What can you expect from an AI researcher who was privileged
with one hour of batch use of an IBM calculator for the whole year
while he wrote his thesis in the 1950s? To him, ex(1) is a very modern editor.
So -- an expert system with lots of reflective meta-level control,
specialized in the resolution of classic mathematical "puzzles",
growing itself by discovering new rules (a la EURISKO ?),
able to dynamically compile code into C and dynload it,
when it feels that will speed up a computation
that won't progress through reflective simplification anymore.

Apart from that, I'm now porting bknr to sbcl-mt, as an attempt to learn it,
make it more portable, learn more about Common Lisp development and the
extensions that are or aren't commonly available (multiprogramming, etc.).
The authors seem to invent the same kinds of hack as I do,
except they tend to actually implement stuff.
My plan is to use it as a foundation for zzz.
	http://cliki.tunes.org/zzz

As for blogging, I'll be posting a double review of UC&C Real Soon Now(tm).

Finally, Brian seems to be progressing a lot with Slate,
so you may want to have a look.
	http://slate.tunes.org/

Cheers!

The last good thing written in C was Franz Schubert's Symphony number 9.
	-- Erwin Dieterich <erwin at cvt12.verfahrenstechnik.uni-stuttgart.de>