Apologies for lack of TUNES progress

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Mon Apr 11 11:32:20 PDT 2005

On Apr 9, 2005, at 11:01 AM, Thomas Novelli wrote:

> I know CSS but I'm not volunteering to overhaul the web site... it's a
> bit obfuscated and rambling. What if I wrote up a summary of TUNES as
> you intended it? (even if I think you're dreaming)... In plain
> English, without any politics... Just a brief explanation of the
> features and how they fit together. We can link to Cliki for details.
> Say, why not use Cliki for the main tunes.org page?

Because it's not suited for well-formed documents. It's a wiki: a
bottom-up assemblage of ideas, not a top-down categorization and
exposition.

> Orthogonal Persistence... couldn't that be added to Python fairly
> easily, if it hasn't been done already? I was just thinking about how
> nice that'd be if it's practical. Traditional filesystems just aren't
> suited for the kind of things we're doing with computers now.

You've gotta be kidding. After all these years and what's on the web
site, you have to ask? This is depressing.

The answer is that you'd have to re-implement Smalltalk's persistence
and live-connected source databases (which has definitely NOT been done
in Python), and go beyond that by quite a bit. It's much easier for me
and others to start from Slate.

> On Apr 4, 2005 11:21 AM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear Tunesers,
>>
>> I apologize for the lack of progress in TUNES, since few of the points
>> I mentionned in my program for january-february were met.
>>
>> As an explanation, rather than an excuse, I'm currently living a
>> hectic life, without a fixed home, going at friends, at conferences,
>> and preparing my new life in the States (I'll move to Boston this
>> month). More when I'm done moving.
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development
http://tunes.org/~water/