Fwd: [ll-discuss] Paper: On the Revival of Dynamic Languages

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 23:04:45 PDT 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steve Dekorte <steve at dekorte.com>
Date: 20-Jul-2005 17:01
Subject: [ll-discuss] Paper: On the Revival of Dynamic Languages
To: ll1-discuss at ai.mit.edu
Cc: langsmiths at yahoogroups.com

Thought this recent paper might be of interest to the group:

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Archive/Drafts/Nier05bRevival.pdf

Abstract. The programming languages of today are stuck in a deep rut
that has developed over the past 50 years. Although we are faced with
new challenges posed by enormous advances in hardware and internet
technology, we continue to struggle with old-fashioned languages based
on rigid, static, closed-world file-based views of programming. We
argue the need for a new class of dynamic languages that support a view
of programming as constant evolution of living and open software
models. Such languages would require features such as dynamic
first-class namespaces, explicit meta-models, optional, pluggable type
systems, and incremental compilation of running software systems.

-- Steve