New kid on the block / introduction

Tom Novelli tnovelli at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 04:39:07 PST 2006

Welcome aboard, Ed.  Sounds like you got into this the same way I did,
through Fare's Assembly-Howto.  You probably found RetroForth too...
the newer versions might be useful as an example for interfacing with
Linux.

It's good to have a Ruby hacker here, as none of us seem to be, and
it's an unusual language.  I've only played with it a little, but it
looks like LISP without parenthesis...  Eventually we might like to
incorporate Ruby into our great multi-language compiler system,
when/if we write it, but don't hold your breath -- it could be
decades.  I would encourage you to go ahead with your project... If
you succeed, it'll make Ruby a more viable language.  Elegant,
high-level, high-performance implementations (for any language) are
hard to find.

- Tom