Back in action

Tom Novelli tnovelli at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 17:17:09 PDT 2007

Hello everyone... I've been very busy the past two months, with the
wedding, honeymoon, home renovations and stuff.  Work is slow, and I
could have been working on Tunes if I wasn't so busy studying up on all
the latest buzzwords (J2EE, Django, Joomla, etc.) to put in my resumé.
I'm not ready to fully learn Lisp and apply to ITA, but I think about it
every time Faré says how busy they are!

I have to say I'm impressed with Ubuntu Linux... it was painless to
install, and it just works.  I won't be thinking about how to improve
Linux anymore, just looking forward to its successor... which just might
be Tunes.  (Doubtful ;-)

I'm also dabbling in Lambda-the-Ultimate... I'll be discussing some of
our ideas, hopefully getting some attention, or at least figuring out
where to draw the line between Tunes and LtU.

Picking up where I left off on the Tunes website, we were discussing
WSGI and various database wrappers.  Now I'm thinking we should just use
Django.  It handles all the mundane stuff.  I was afraid it would be
slow, bloated, limiting... but it's not... it's exactly what I wanted.
Sound good?

As for the CMS, I'd like to 1) tidy up and improve what I've done so
far, 2) add note/blog features, and 3) add a "Review" database to
collect _very terse_ summaries and citations for projects, experiments,
etc. of interest to Tunes (the goal is to avoid having an entire "page"
about every toy OS)

Tom Novelli