Newbie

Keith Poole keith.poole at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 06:39:19 PDT 2007

Tom,

I've read the Alan Kay article and it does sound very similar to the
current Tunes idea - their idea of 'bootstrapping' into an operating
system sounds like a plan.

How about:

1) Design & write a virtual machine in some suitable language (c, c++,
Java, Python?), which will run on a current operating system
2) Write a Javascript compiler on top of that (in Javascript)
3) Write a native code generator to convert VM code to machine code
4) Use this compiler to re-write the VM
5) Write the low-level stuff to allow the VM to run on the metal
6) World domination
n) Write Python/Ruby/other languages as required - this should make
their libraries callable from *all* of the other languages (mostly -
apart from a few special cases which will need the wrapper functions)

Sounds easy doesn't it?

Keith