TUNES Update

Tom Novelli tnovelli at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 04:49:24 PDT 2007

On 3/22/07, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:
> PyPy itself contains a generator that produces a JIT compiler in the
> style of Psyco, automatically, from a Python interpreter (which plays
> the role of a formal language specification in this context).  In other
> words, just tweak the interpreter or replace it with an interpreter for
> whatever other dynamic language you like and you get a JIT compiler for
> free.  (Somebody is busy writing a JavaScript interpreter in our
> framework, for example.)

I've noticed this, and the Prolog front end, lazy evaluation, the
possibility of a persistent object store... PyPy is beginning to sound
a lot like Tunes.  Impressive!  (except for the 1-hour build time...
is that still true? I have yet to try this beast for myself)

Someone needs to write an "executive summary" of those Psyco slides
(and/or the source)... Maybe I'll give it a shot... I'd like to get
involved in this project if I can find the time.  Python has been very
good to me :-)

Tom