Greetings from the lurker's pool

Tom Novelli tnovelli at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 07:31:36 PDT 2008

Welcome back, Derek...

I think Lisp is the way to go for rewriting your compiler.  I messed
around with C, Forth, Assembler for years before I realized that the
"slow scripting languages" (Python, Perl, Ruby, Javascript, Lua, etc.)
would be better for parser/compiler experimentation.  But those have
problems too, problems the Lisp/Scheme community solved a long time
ago because they weren't distracted by syntax.  I switched over to PLT
MzScheme a few months ago and I'm very pleased with it; it's clean but
not minimalist, with all the good qualities of Python except for terse
syntax.

Tunes itself is slow these days but Lisp is making a comeback.  If you
were to get comfortable with Lisp/Scheme this year, I think you'd be
well prepared to contribute when we finally get the ball rolling.  And
if you have anything to offer in the meantime, great.  We're planning
to set up a GIT repository to share our little hacks... pretty soon.

Speaking of midi, I just stumbled across 'aeolus', a pipe organ
synthesizer.  The setup was tough but the sound was impressive!

Tom