A program? and Project 'Government'

Otieno Ododa datahntr@aimnet.com
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 15:23:26 -0800

I think we're going to find that the most common language among us is C or C++, so that's probably what we should write the original implementation in. As far as a development environment, I think the nature of the code we'll be writing will make it able compile on just about any compiler. I have Borland C++ 4.52, a Linux box (currently dead, but revivable) with some version of gcc, and djgpp. I know C++ and some basic x86 assembly

Also, we need to figure out a scheme of project government, something Matt raised earlier. My idea for that is as follows ...

An 'oversight' group, which delegates tasks based on the project's general aims and goals. This group would have to serve as the specs group, and would have a closed membership, where its members would select new members, if required. This group would not really do any coding, but instead coordinate the efforts of the other groups, as well as have the tasks of deciding what goes in 'official' releases, laying out the specs (which is what we're all doing, right now, I guess) of the project, and determining what new features to support. Of course, you could be a member of this group and of other groups at the same time.

Several groups or committees which handle sub tasks, such as a tools and utilities group, a compiler group, etc. These groups would have to be subdivided, because the scopes of their tasks are very large. However, I think that the need for intercommunication between these potentially separate groups is such that they need to be combined, whereas the intercommunication needed between, say, the tools/utilities group and the compiler group can be handled by the oversight group.

Of course, as the project grows, more groups would be created.

As far as voting on issues goes, after adequate discussion of issues, I think any contributing member of the project should have a vote in any issue touching on a task their group would be doing ... Contributing right now means ideas, and later would mean code. I know that definition will be pretty vague, later, if someone contributes code and doesn't do anything else ever again, or something similar, so that would need to be clarified.

I know the idea needs work. At least this will get discussion started, hopefully

--
Otieno Ododa
datahntr@aimnet.com