Ultra Project

Matthew Tuck matty@box.net.au
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 12:09:49 +0930

OK, this is the first message I've sent out to the members as such,
since it's probably time for you all to meet each other.  I'll briefly
outline a few topics that might be worthy to start talking about, and
hopefully from there we'll work out what needs to be discussed and we'll
probably progress onto more advanced stuff over time, and use the
resources we've developed to help getting newcomers up to speed.

Topics?
(a) Any quirks/(dis)likes/interesting features of programming
languages.  Don't just accept that that's the way it is.
(b) Language wars (which is best) can tend to become heated, but I think
they should be at least an issue on this list.  Which languages you know
do you like and dislike, any why?
(c) Any suggestions for improving programming languages that you might
have.
(d) A brief propaganda campaign on who you are.
(e) Suggestions for advertising / getting members / getting a mailing
list / helping the project / project direction / suggestions for topics.
(f) Anything else.

I've aimed to make this project accessible to everybody, so we'll all be
at different levels of knowledge.  So everyone must realise that, at
least for now, all discussion goes on within the same medium, and no
question is a stupid one.

At the moment we don't have a mailing list - getting one is high
priority, but I'm not sure where yet (if I had money to burn it'd be
another matter).

One thing I want to work on shortly is an optimisation catalogue.  For
this, what I need is a system that can translate a bunch of text into a
bunch of html files.  But it's not as simple as translation.

Firstly, I want each of the html files to be based on a template.  This
is just simple a html file I generate in a html editor which has a
<HERE> tag in the middle, indicating to place the text here.  This way I
can change the look easily and regenerate the html files, only editing
the text files.  The <HERE> tag is not a defined HTML tag (at least I
don't think it is), but that's the point.

Secondly, I want hyperlinking to occur between these files.  Basically
the name of the text file is the text I use, and if this is found I want
to insert a hyperlink to this file.  The hyperlinks would only occur
within the same directory.

There's no need to develop such as system if one already exists, or if
you want to patch it up from some existing utilities or whatever.  The
only requirements is that it is semi-automatic and works under Windows
95.  So, if anyone's interested in a small programming project (I
already have one and am busy working as well) or knows an easy way to do
this, then I'd appreciate the help.

--
     Matthew Tuck - Software Developer & All-Round Nice Guy
                              ***