The Burning Questions

Matthew Tuck matty@box.net.au
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 22:04:35 +1030

There are going to be heaps of questions that need to be answered at some point, so I've tried to wrack my brain trying to think of them to get them out in the open.  Many are like religious issues, some are arbitrary and some probably have clear cut answers.  But which is which?  Anyway, here goes:

* The Compiler

What will be the target platforms:  JVM, Our own VM, Win32, Mac, Unix, Output To C, Something else?

What will be the uncompiled source distribution format?

What will be the compiled module distribution format?

What tools shall we write?

Do we support static library binding, dynamic library binding, or both?

What optimisations can we do?

What will be the general structure of the compiler?

What compilation techniques shall we use?

* The Language

What facilties should be in the library?  Bear in mind that since we are an open source project, we will let anybody include the code in their compiler.  Hence, one reason against large libraries (the need to write them) is gone.

How much and what syntactic sugars should we use?

Too many other things to list here ...

* The Project

What sort of mechanisms will be used with code trees, and how will they be regulated?

Will there be any standard distribution?

Will there be voting on issues as to the direction of the project.  If so, will they be binding on the standard distribution, and who can vote?

How will the project be structured?

In what order should things be attempted?

How do we attract more members?

How can we be more accessible to members?

What license should we place our code under?

--
     Matthew Tuck - Software Developer & All-Round Nice Guy
                              ***