More comments

Tanton Gibbs thgibbs@hotmail.com
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 12:59:44 PST

A couple of thoughts

Syntactic Sugar - I am a big fan of minimal features.  I think that the
idea of 10 ways to do the same thing is bad, especially, if like SQL,
each way has different performance gains.  While syntactic sugars are
theoretically a mapping, many times this is not the case.  We have to
make sure that there is not a difference in performance and that each
sugar is truly a boon and not just another neat way of doing something.
For example, a for loop really does save time, but the common die if X
structure is not necessarily better than if( X ) die.

JVM - I still really have problems with the idea of compiling to JVM.
First, we would be dealing with a dynamic language that is in its
infancy.  Secondly, we would be dealing with a VM that was designed for
a specific language, one that is not ours.  Finally, there are many
differnt implementations of the JVM that don't conform to any standard,
even though SUN has a standard.  The court case will hopefully straigten
out MS, but there are still other VM manufacturers.
Here is what I recommend.  My idea is to have a platform independent
binary object file that could be further compiled to any platform.  Not
the idea of Just In Time compiling, and not the "C" object file idea,
but a fully linked "slim binary" that could be compiled further to any
platform by the compiler.  Therefore, the programmer could tell the
intelligent editor to compile to Pentium II architecture or SUN SPARC
arcitecture and it will be able to do both from the same binary object
file.
Intelligent Editor - We have to be really careful with this idea, which
is a good one.  The part we have to be careful with is not to interfere
with the programmer.  VB is case in point, it is too restrictive towards
mistakes.  If a variable is not declared, or the syntax is not correct
then VB will cause enormous interference to the programmer.  I like the
idea of a small symbol out to the side, perhaps color coordinated, to
tell the type of error and allow the programmer to immediately fix it or
wait until later.  However, some types of syntax errors are hard to
catch, such as no semicolon.  Also, undeclared variables and functions
are also hard to handle because of libraries that could be linked to.
Keeping it compiled as you go is also a good idea, however I'm about out
time, so I'll write back later.

Tanton