Next step

Matthew Tuck matty@box.net.au
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 17:21:04 +1030

Tanton Gibbs wrote:

> I believe that the discussion is bringing up some good issues on many
> topics.  However, I would like to propose that we begin discussing
> syntax in the next few weeks.  The syntax of a language is a very
> important feature and could shape how optimisations are handled as
> well as how the IDE will be shaped.  I would like to start crafting
> the basic syntactic features while we discuss the back end of the
> compiler.  What does everyone think of this?

OK, as I've said, I would prefer a language with syntax not attached,
but don't have any problems with starting with the a specific syntax.
We can always import this into the intelligent editor later if we free
syntax.  Then there would be the issue of supporting a program view that
uses a syntax.

Go ahead and write something up if you wish by all means.  We need to
start looking at things like this for sure.  I've got some syntax I
wrote a while back but never had time to finish.  I might dig that up
and have a look too.

Interestingly enough, in the next six weeks, my other half will be
overseas, so I will have more time.  I intend to finish the optimisation
catalogue, glossary, get some essays written, put more links in, improve
the web pages, add some book reviews and write a few small web page
utilites (anyone know of any free web site management utils?).  Watch
this space.

--
     Matthew Tuck - Software Developer & All-Round Nice Guy
                              ***