A few comments on the archives

Hans-Dieter.Dreier@materna.de Hans-Dieter.Dreier@materna.de
Tue, 11 May 1999 09:51:57 +0200

--SMUdCqNUoWutfgUgLVgRORVrGv8adxR0

>"Peter A. Friend" wrote:
>
>> I saw a LOT of discussion about outputting bytecodes for the JVM. This
>> may be handy in the early stages, but there are a lot of things about
>> the JVM that give me a headache. For one, there are NO unsigned integer
>> types.

I got the JVM Spec but until now had only a most superficial look into it.
My impression was that there are some JVM instructions that are rather high=
-level (loading a class, for instance). A major problem might be that they =
are assuming certain data structures. It could turn out that, say, implemen=
ting MI cannot be done satisfactorily just because Java doesn't support it.

>> I have to go back and reread the IDE stuff, but I think that making
>> everything GUI is a bad idea. If it is provided it should be an option.
>> GUI only slows me down.

Well, I don't see any reason why there couldn't be a command-line interface=
 as well, but I personally like the idea of writing my programs by point'n =
click / drag'n drop more.
It certainly is a matter of taste (and one's skills). If you got everything=
 laid out in your head and seldom need an online help, you'd definitely be =
faster without GUI.

Alas, I often have to consult the online help to look up some specs and I o=
ften misspell things when I type them.

--

Regards,

Hans-Dieter Dreier
(Hans-Dieter.Dreier@materna.de)=

--SMUdCqNUoWutfgUgLVgRORVrGv8adxR0

IDENTIFIKATIONSANGABEN:
a13915a.txt IA5 DX-MAIL X.400 User Agent=

--SMUdCqNUoWutfgUgLVgRORVrGv8adxR0--