[unios] Re: Test

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 13:59:32 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

> > Let me bring up an important topic: What properties are priorited in UniOS.
> >
> > This is my alpha version priority list:
> > Primary goals: (implemented from the beginning)
> > 1) Technically generic and good solutions
> > 2) Flexibility/Portability
> > 3) Stability
> > 4) Security
> > Secondary goals: (implemented as time goes by)
> > 5) Performance
> > 6) Easy administration
> > 7) Ease of use

Performance only on the 5th place ? To me, performance (speed) is on the
second place after stability. Linux is good because it's fast and
stable,but it's not flexible in the ways we want.

> > Nice to have, but not that important: (maybe implemented)
> > 8) Small size
> > 9) Easy installation

Easy installation just is a part of ease of use. It might not be important
to people who do know about computers and the OS, but for 80% of PC users
this is not the case.

> I agree with this.  Seems reasonable.  I would put performance as a higher
> priority, but it's a trap :)  Performance as a top priority would mean that we
> have to work very much harder on making it cross-platform.

Why ?  Performance is (partly) a responsibility of the kernel, so each
platform will have it's own optimizations that can make the OS faster, so
the real-performace dependent or "performance-making" code will be in the
hardware-dependent part of the kernel or HAL.

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon

 ICQ  : 12428974