[unios] Re: Priorities

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 19:57:44 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

> Yes, performance on fifth place. Computers get faster all the time. The
> faster they get, the more willing are people to trade speed for other
> advantages. Like high flexibility and security.

This is true, but depends on the sort of user:
Office PC's and PC's needn't be fast. Most of the time, they only run 1 or
two applications. Control software (for industrial processes etc) needs to
get high priority, but this doesn't mean the OS must be fast. But home
users and power users will really want a fast system.

> But we should take
> the attitude of first constructing a technologically consistent system, and
> then see how it can be made fast (even if a good construction should be
> pretty fast already). The opposite would be to first make a fast system,
> and afterwards begin to look at how the system could be given the other
> properties we want it to have. That's simply th wrong way to go, and that
> is why I did not put it on the primary goals list.

Off course, but I think if you implement an architecturally good OS, it
will be fast, stable and secure whatsoever.

Pieter

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon

 ICQ  : 12428974