[unios] Re: Priorities

Demian Alcazar draco@chile.crosswinds.net
Thu, 03 Dec 1998 21:22:34 -0600

From: "Demian Alcazar" <draco@chile.crosswinds.net>

On 03-12-1998, at 07:30 PM, Anders Petersson  wrote:

>From: Anders Petersson <anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se>

>UniOS.

>>Performance only on the 5th place ? To me, performance (speed) is on the
>>second place after stability. Linux is good because it's fast and
>>stable,but it's not flexible in the ways we want.
>
>Yes, performance on fifth place. Computers get faster all the time. The
>faster they get, the more willing are people to trade speed for other
>advantages. Like high flexibility and security.
>I understand that users will not simply accept that software becomes
>slower, even if they get a high security or whatever... But we should take
>the attitude of first constructing a technologically consistent system, and
>then see how it can be made fast (even if a good construction should be
>pretty fast already). The opposite would be to first make a fast system,
>and afterwards begin to look at how the system could be given the other
>properties we want it to have. That's simply th wrong way to go, and that
>is why I did not put it on the primary goals list.

>>Easy installation just is a part of ease of use. It might not be important
>>to people who do know about computers and the OS, but for 80% of PC users
>>this is not the case.
>
>I broke 'installation' out of the 'use' category because of the big
>difference between them. You would rather want to struggle with the
>installation once than struggle with the software each time you want to use
>it.
>
>>> I agree with this.  Seems reasonable.  I would put performance as a higher
>>> priority, but it's a trap :)  Performance as a top priority would mean
>that we
>>> have to work very much harder on making it cross-platform.
>>
>>Why ?  Performance is (partly) a responsibility of the kernel, so each
>>platform will have it's own optimizations that can make the OS faster, so
>>the real-performace dependent or "performance-making" code will be in the
>>hardware-dependent part of the kernel or HAL.
>
>You can't optimize the system before you have designed it. When doing the
>development, we don't need the OS to be fast. When (or if) the OS becomes
>more finished, we look into optimizations.
>However, we do need to make the design possible to optimize... but that's
>not my view on the design. Guess why the priority one on my list is
>there... My most important reason for being here is that I want to make a
>consistent and clever system for the next age in computer software.
>
>binEng

Optimization from the start is the most important feature and all thru development, if not then it might be impossible to do so later on and it'd have to be a start-from-scratch all over again.
performance is also a biggie if you comtemplate that UniOS should be compatible with every platform out there

Daisuke