[unios] Re: Priorities

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 13:36:06 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

> Wait, wait. You missunderstood me, I think. I too believe that good methods
> bring speed. But what is a good OS is dependent on the who watches. If your
> only consideration is speed, UniOS won't be the perfect system *for you*.
> Don't you agree?

That's  a fact. But speed is not my only consideration, but it is indeed
an important one, for me. But you can still make a system fast while
retaining flexiblity, security and stability.  That's what I believe.

> No, speed and flexibility is not contrary, but I think the system can't run
> at the maximum theoretical speed... partly because of the flexibility,
> which in general means we cannot hardcode features, but have to refer to
> system level objects all the time.

new microkernels are __proven__ to be as fast as the fastest existing
architecture, monolithic kernels, while adding all the flexibility you
need.

> You skipped the exokernel, but seem to still think the same about the
> holiness of speed.

Exokernels indeed offer speed, but making them stable and secure is
like hell. You have to request the use of safe languages or use sandboxes
in the kernel. This is simply not the good idea. This even makes the
system slow, while it was intended to be fast. I haven't forgotten about
the exokernel, I'm just totally against it :-)

Pieter

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon

 ICQ  : 12428974