[unios] Re: Priorities

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 13:41:02 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

> From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>
>
> As for Java... as a programmer, the language is awesome.
> However the Java system (runtime) is quite crappy.  You don't get very
>good hardware access.  In the hardware abstract model, Java device
> access would be equivalent to my High level abstracts.

You don't get _any_ hardware access in Java, that's why it is Java.
If you need to access the hardware, you still have to use assembler
(embedded in C if possible), or C if you can access the hardware just by
memory access (such as the video). (You don't have to use C, off course,
but gcc is the only good C compiler with nice inline asm).

Another remark about the language to write a kernel in:
Use C++. You can write the kernel object-oriented with the C++ paradigma,
which is very flexible. A well designed C++ program performs as fast as
conventional C.

Pieter

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon