[unios] Re: As I see it . . .

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 12:36:12 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

> From: OJ Hickman <hickman1@peak.org>
>
> Does the kernel matter?
>
> As long as the programming APIs are consistent what does the underlying
> kernel matter?
> I mean, for example, Linux and the Herd. They are both UNIX systems are
> they not? Can't a
> properly written C program be compiled to both? But Linux is monolithic
> and Herd
> microkernel. The APIs, you see, are the important issue.

It's Hurd, with a U.
But Hurd is no unix! It uses the first-generation microkernel mach. This
makes Hurd old before it is even written :(
But Hurd puts a Unix server on top of mach, providing a look-a-like POSIX
system on mach.

> No kernel?
>
> I think this idea of breaking the kernel into swapable components is
> worth farther
> consideration. Change the basic concept of what a kernel is.

I think so too. The basic thing you need is some layer on top of the
hardware wich rules the hardware. Even this layer (HAL) should be
run-time changeable. On top of this HAL, you can implement seperate
components like scheduler etc.
But, I think, code size will grow. You will need so much code to implement
this component system, that it is far easier to develop a good, tightly
coded microkernel.

Pieter

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon