[unios] Re: Generic Design

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 15:51:01 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

> >> Hardware
> >> --------
> >> There are exceptions to the rule that hardware is objects. One is storage,
> >> which isn't used in the same way, and should be protected from being used
> >> up in some other way.
> >
> >Do you recon that storage is a big part of the devices in a computer?
>
> The actual devices are objects. The space itself is not. That's what I
> meant. I can't think of any good way to make the storage room into objects.
?? why not ?

> This should be better protected by limiting each user to a certain size of
> storage or something.

__Every__ OS limits the space users have on the system. (except for the
stupid DOS/win9x). Off course this is something that must be implemented.

> This was actually more of a loose thought. You're probably right that this
> would be too slow. But I still think processing time has to be delegated in
> a controlled way. One user can't take up all computer power if others don't
> want him to.

Off course not. A user cannot just give its own processes the maximum
priority !

When it comes to scheduling, we can just use the standard ones :
Unix,WinNT,OS/2,... They all folow a very similar algorithm. And this is
somethign that won't hurt generality and flexibility. You should have a
look at the Linux scheduling algorithm. It's pretty small and efficient.
Perhaps not as fine-tuned as some commercial Unices, but you can get it's
code, off course.

Pieter

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon