[unios] Re: draft doc

Pat Wendorf beholder@ican.net
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 07:20:30 -0500

From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>

> Some comments on Pat's draft model:
>
>  - Where would you locate the objects that
>    schedule memory and cpu time ?

They belong in the system abstract.  This will be shown in the next couple of
models that get added to that page, I'm just working out positioning and how
things interconnect right now.  They are implemented as an object itself.

>    The former will be slower, but it will be more flexible.

Agreed, but I do believe flexibility is what we want at this point.  If it
turns out to be too slow, then we can move it to a more traditional place.
Like a static kernel, that runs below the abstracts.  Although I don't know how
we are going to figure out the exact timing of each method, other than sample
instruction trace.

>  - How can the FS load files if there are no drivers (low-level
>    abstracts) yet?

Good question. I do believe that the boot loader, might have to have the FS
information in there, which loads all the low, then high abstracts, then deal
with the config information.  But we also need something that determines which
low levels to load.. Anyone have any good ideas?

>  - Installing the system for single- or multi-user mode isn't very
>    flexible. We must be able to switch between many configurations at
>    run-time. e.g., in Unix multiple runlevels are defined, one runlevel
>    is for shutdown, one for reboot, one for single-user mode, one for
>    multi-user mode, one for multi-user mode with network etc... You can
>    change these runlevels as you want, adding or removing services from
>    them (eg. logging) , and you can specify which kind of users can log in
>    into the system when the system is in a certain runlevel. The root can
>    switch runlevels at run-time with the 'init <runlevel>' command.

That makes sense, and the model could support that within the system abstract.
Maybe if the system has only one user, that lacks a password, THEN it would
boot without the log in screen.  I'm only thinking of the home user with this
one.  Some people live alone, or share their computer with family, who do not
need separate user profiles.  This log in method should automatically enforce
internet security (no external log in), for obvious reasons.

>    Just to give an example :-)
>    It should be made even more flexible than Unix...

Yes, I agree.  The model, as it stands seems more flexible than Unix, in that
there is no rigidly enforced methods of interaction (other than you have to use
the abstracts), it's just how we will work out the technical details of how to
implement it, if it's chosen as the model for the project.

--
Pat Wendorf

At last! The perfect gifts for baseball fans...or anyone. Merchandise from
the Sonoma County Crushers, champions of the Western Baseball League (USA).
Go to http://www.icatmall.com/crushers