[unios] Re: Generic design. More comments

Pat Wendorf beholder@ican.net
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:50:19 -0500

From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>

> > I looked back at your definitions and saw you defined the kernel
> > low-level... this would mean that in the first two models, at least *two*
> > kernels are needed - one for the completely independant part, and one for
> > this ('my' sounds so self-centered) design... it that really good?
>
> Don't be afraid to sound self-centered :-) I know what is meant.
> Your (how can I otherwise indicate it ?) design doesn't run as a "kernel",
> but as a normal set of user processes, perhaps with somewhat more
> privilege. This is the basic idea that led to the development of
> microkernels, still the best architecture today.

They are flexible and fast. Almost every new OS that's coming out is using
microkernel architecture (including all the assorted OS projects on the net).  It
seems to work well on all kinds of architectures, in all kinds of situations.  I
guess that implies we do need some kind of basic kernel somewhere in the system.

> I think UniOS should be the name for the whole system : kernel,
> subsystems, basic OS applications,etc. Your design can be part of UniOS,
> but Win32 can be too...

UniOS as the name of the WHOLE thing... I like that also.

What I don't understand is why do you have Win32 and OS/2 as part of the
diagram?  Is there something I am missing here?

--
Pat Wendorf