[unios] Re: Generic design. More comments

Pat Wendorf beholder@ican.net
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:37:19 -0500

From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>

> > mOS needs a kernel to implement the most basic stuff, like memory managment
> > and system calls. The kernel need to be there, only that it is small and
> > has delegated most jobs to ordinary processes.
>
> We can use a "no-kernel" design. All hardware, so cpu and memory too,
> is abstracted by an object each, running in a seperate memory space etc.
> This would make it all very flexible, and probably stable, but not fast.

Give an opcode timing example if you can... I'd like to know how much it would
slow it down.  This would be interesting to find out, if it is only a few hundred
instruction per task switch (vs. about twenty or thirty with a kernel), then I
don't think it will be too bad.  But if we are talking thousands of instructions
to handle it, we are gonna run into a massive speed hit.

--
Pat Wendorf