[unios] Re: naming (was something too long to write)

Pat Wendorf beholder@ican.net
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 13:29:32 -0500

From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>

> > Once it's up, I love to watch those screen savers... they're the smoothest,
> > fastest screen savers, I've ever seen.  Not to mention they are beautiful.
>
> Screen savers... They are not needed anymore for today's screens, and they
> just take up cpu time (lots!!).

Yep, but fun to watch :)

> > BTW:  I'm sure you all got the mail, but in case you didn't Corel Word Perfect 7
> > (in multiple languages), for Linux is available for free download, from
> > download.com...  In case anyone wants a nice word processor :)
> >
> > Help support a Canadian company, use Corel! :) hehehe
>
> Corel Office will be made free by the summer :-) (no source, only binary)

Awesome... I like the alternative :)

> > BTW2: I don't know if anyone is interested in a free SRV5 unix system called
> > SCO... (www.sco.com).  For those of you who have never heard of SCO, it's a
> > really stable, very kick ass Unix, however it is quite pricey... But they give
> > away free versions for personal use.  They do charge $20 american for the media
> > cost (comes with CD's and books and box).  Nice to experiment with... some say
> > it's as stable on x86 as solaris is on Sparc (just a rumor, please no flames
> > here :)
>
> SCO Unixware is the "standard" Unix ! Of course I know it! And, Pat,
> it's SVR5, not SRV5. SVR5 means System V, release 5. Unixware 7 is the
> newest version SVR5, the previous versions were SVR4, the standard Unix up
> to now. Unfortunately, Unixware is pushed from the market by Linux...

SVR/SRV... whatever! :)  I knew what I was saying! :)

And yes it is a shame that they charge so much for it, cuz that is the reason linux
has the market right now... SCO gives you a free copy, but you can't download it.  You
have to send away for it.

--
Pat Wendorf