[unios] Re: Language Oriented System

Srikant Sharma (Chiku) srikants@wipinfo.soft.net
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:03:28 +0000 (GMT)

From: "Srikant Sharma (Chiku)" <srikants@wipinfo.soft.net>

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, OJ Hickman wrote:

> From: OJ Hickman <hickman1@peak.org>
>
> Language Oriented System (LOS) design.
> By Omer James Hickman - December 18, 1998
>
> The current discussion centers around Object Oriented
> design, but I think that OO is an inadequate model for an
> overall computing system.
>
> OO is still based on procedural programming, all it does is
> bind a set of procedures to a data structure. OOP means
> inanimate objects. The 'entities' that make up a computing
> system are NOT inanimate. They are 'alive' in they process
> in parallel and communicate in messages rather then
> invoking procedures in each other in a linear fashion.

why do I feel that this is just another twisted nomenclature
for microkernel based design ?

Also can you be more specific on .. what you mean by
"The 'entities' that make up a computing system are NOT inanimate.
 They are 'alive"

This could be a matter of perspective.  I feel a normal svr4 unix
to be 'very much alive' .... The preocesses are dynamic. These talk with
each other using ipc. There is a parent ... there is a child ...
there is a group ....
for that matter ... a thread spawns a thread ...  .. if you go and
see the kernel implementation of solaris .. you will see all the threads
being referred as siblings ....
Is not this stuff alive ?

> LOS is more like the way we (human beings) work together. We
> send messages, sentences, to each other. In its
> most basic form a sentence has a subject (noun) and an
> action (verb) this basic form can be expanded to convey very
> complex interactions. In the context of computing, of
> course, the syntax of such sentences would be relatively
> restrictive.

This is the basic idea of micro kernel architecture .....
The (micro)Kernel  is in fact a switch (or a kind of hub) where
all messaging transactions take place. I feel that the basic concept
does not become a radically different concept if we give some (fancy)
nomenclature to it.