[unios] Re: Priorities

Tril dem@tunes.org
Fri, 25 Dec 1998 19:59:30 -0800 (PST)

From: Tril <dem@tunes.org>

On Fri, 25 Dec 1998, Pat Wendorf wrote:

> > In TUNES we say stability and reliability are just by-products of security
> > (strong typechecking).  So when we say security we mean all three.
>
> When we say security, we are talking about the privacy/networked type more
> so.  Sorry for the confusion.

No, that was my fault.  What I meant was lack of crashing is based on the
system following its own rules and being internally consistent.  Network
security is also based on the strength of enforcement of rules.  If strong
typechecking is an integral part of the system at ANY scale, then you
solve both problems at once.  I hope that explains why I mix up the
concepts so much.  It's just because they're closely tied.  I should have
pointed that out more clearly before.

> > So, my proposed revision of the priority list is:
> > 1. Security
> > 2. Flexibility
> > 3. Easy to Use/Program
> > 4. Fast
>
> In the terminology I was using (which may not be right), that says it's an NC!
> or TTY terminal ;)

I don't understand what you are saying here.

> I like the ideas you present, but I'd like to define some of the (possibly
> different) terms I use:

I agree with the definitions, and I especially like this one:

> Fast - A measure of responsiveness to a given task (server processes, single
> user applications/games, etc.)

I will just postulate that the user does not mind how unresponsive the
system may be, as long as they know that the system is busy working on
what they want done.

David Manifold <dem@tunes.org>
This message is placed in the public domain.