[unios] Re: More support of reflection, from tidbits from the list.

Anders Petersson anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 23:30:40 +0100

From: Anders Petersson <anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se>

At 1998-12-26 , you wrote:
>From: Tril <dem@tunes.org>
>

>Anders:
>> You can give a car a faster engine or tires afterwards, but you can't
>> give it a better design without reconstructing it.
>Reflection allows redesign/reconstruction by the user (or by programs
>priviledged by the user, perhaps to automatically choose from a range of
>designs).

I don't understand reflection. I've looked at TUNES' site, but I still
don't understand.

>Pat:
>> The UniOS project is a scalable OS that can scale in any direction. How
>> does it do this?  That is what we are trying to find out...
>It can do it with reflection.  You can self-extend the system in any
>direction.  Every new object added to the system is first-class.

Yes, every object in the system is first-class. But reflection - nope,
don't understand.

>Pat:
>> Hot swap kernels, processing and memory managers...  does anyone see why
>> this would not work?  Does this not satisfy the requirements of a
>> Universal Operating system?  Does it constrain the user/programmer?
>Reflection is the key. I believe it does satisfy the requirements of a
>universal OS.  It doesn't constrain the user/programmer, but it does make
>a harder job for us and a careful design of the system necessary.

Don't understand. (Are you beginning to get my point? :) )

And so on...

I guess I really need a simple explaination of reflection.

binEng