[unios] Re: IPC in the current OO model

Alan Grimes ogrimes@bellatlantic.net
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 16:21:51 -0800

From: Alan Grimes <ogrimes@bellatlantic.net>

> Or what if both solutions are useful in combination? Sometimes thread
> jumping is better, sometimes client/server... Other than that it introduces
> some kernel complexity, I see no hinder to have both, they are both
> possible in our current design. What do you think of it?
>
> >The kernel in such a system would do little more then sceduel threads,
> >allocate raw hardware and memory and provide a linkage database for
> >the objects to connect to each other.
>
> Almost correct... thanks to OID servers, the kernel does not need to take
> care of object connections. A "root server" is still needed, I guess.
> The memory allocation function would have to be provided by the kernel, but
> could be further implemented by memory servers. The kernel would only
> provide some sort of root memory allocation.
> And threads... it's the same thing with them. The kernel implements a
> simple root scheduler, on which additional schedulers can be stacked.
>
> Very flexible, very generic, very neat.

HEY!!! That's the design I've been working on!!!!!!! :| U stole mi idea!!! :P
Okay I have already developed a conceptualization and design for this idea. I
have even begun coding a prototype. The problem I face is that I want to do a
really profesional job on it, that means compiling it and linking it. The
problem I've been facing is that no linkers are available and that I will have
to develop one for myself. this is a problem because I have spent all my time
studying operating systems and nil time studying linkers. If you can help me I
will be most appreciative. :)

There is a d00d writing a book on the subject at:

http://www.iecc.com/linker

Please contribute anything you know to him. =)

Meanwhilest you can say Yes, you support my design and will help me develop it
once I get this prototype out the door. :) (I'll be working on the prototype
once I have streightened out my development problems.)

--
I'm still waiting for Windows 4.0

I am the Red Team Captain at www.nanocomputer.org
atc.peon.net/~cyborg/