[unios] Document Posting

Pat Wendorf beholder@ican.net
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 20:49:18 -0500

From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>

> Anders Wrote:

> Lemme ask one thing... how come you want to post all OS models (and I
> guess other things than OS models as well) to the site? Do you see all
> models as potential candidates to UniOS?

He wrote this to me personally, but I think it's important enough to
answer in the list.

We are working toward a single goal with the UniOS project:  A Better OS
for everyone.  I believe all ideas that our members (and supporting
members :) come up with are all valid, reasonable and useful in some
way, to someone (educational or practical).  The site is the public face
of the UniOS project, and as such, the more ideas we post or even the
progression of the ideas, shows what the project is, where it came from,
and where it is heading.  I find it gets people interested in becoming
part of the group.  Showing the progression shows people that we are
human, and do make mistakes, which we find better solutions for.  If I
only had the final documents on the page (none yet! :), we'd look like a
bunch of computer super scientist genius egomaniacs, who came up with
the ideas in short order, and it really puts people off wanting to join,
as they would not feel adequate enough.  If we're not human, we're a
corporation with static ideas and no room for new ones.  To summarize
it's mostly a perceptual thing.  We do have a set path we are following,
and we do have set ideas (computers are finite devices), but it makes it
seem more inviting.  As project coordinator (not necessary figure head,
programmer, designer, or even project leader), I feel it's my job to get
members and promote the project as much as I can.  This includes making
it accessible (or as accessible as an OS project can be :) You have to
be realistic... I'd estimate only 5% of the computing world has a remote
idea of what we are talking about).

I hope that explains my reasoning a bit more.  If you disagree with this
policy, and think a closed, invite only, development system would be
better, I'm open to the idea (or maybe I'm not :).

--
 Pat Wendorf