[unios] [Repost] A monkey wrench

Faustino E Osuna osuna@CTC.Net
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 00:06:52 -0500

From: Faustino E Osuna <osuna@CTC.Net>

Ugh! Sorry about the HTML e-mail, see this is why I'm anti-MS.

----

I know this throws a monkey wrench into the brainstorming process, but has
it occurred to anyone of creating multiple kernels? Maybe even dynamically
loadable kernels (DLK)?  Where once the OS starts up, it fires up the
UniKernel (default kernel) then according to the needs of the individual
application, it would load the associated kernel?  Or the user (not the
application) has the ability to unload and load a kernel on the fly.  Or
give the user the option of starting up with something other than the
"UniKernel", a kernel specifically designed for their overall wants and
demands.

I would think the latter suggestion would be more feasible.  Having DLK's
being loaded and unloaded every time the application runs would be somewhat
redundant.  Instead, there should be multiple kernel architectures that
allow the user to reap the most benefits from his/her system.  Of course,
one major issue to this system would be the interface between the kernel and
the application.  There must be a standardization (ugh I hate standards).

A good example of this would be, that a business might want to dedicate
UniOS system entirely for networking purposes (lets say a print server).
They load the appropriate kernel that allows the application(s) and the
network to benefit the most from the system (High-security and moderate
speed).  But on the other hand, we a home-user (like the most of us) who
wants UniOS' power as well but the security doesn't have to be as high but
the speed is a must or flexibility.

In my novice opinion, this would make UniOS more diverse and flexible.  But
it just might defeat the entire purpose.

Just an idea to chew on, I apologize for not elaborating too clearly.  Of
course ideas, suggestions, gripes...etc are welcomed.

- Enrique

PS - I haven't formally introduced myself, I'm Enrique expert slacker.