[unios] Re: Terminology

Faustino E Osuna osuna@CTC.Net
Sat, 02 Jan 1999 19:03:50 -0500

From: Faustino E Osuna <osuna@CTC.Net>

>>Foriegn-Object:
>>    Object not in the immediate family, anything other than the
Grandparent,
>>Parent, Sibling, and Cousin.
>
>A "foreign object" for me more suggests an object on another system.
>"Unrelated object" is an alternative.

I see what you mean, so Alien-Object and Foreign-Object should be
synonymous.

>User root: The object that represents an user. For the user, it will
>effectively look like a root.
>
>System root, alternatively super root: The true root of the system.
>
>Systree, short for system tree: Referring to the whole system tree, of
course.

>Sub-tree: The tree under an arbitrary object.

I'd also think sub-tree should be synonymous with "branch"

>Finally, what do you think of the term "OID server"? Myself I think it's
>not very good...

OID Server isn't very descriptive.  It seems to me that OID Server means
object ID server.  You yourself, in the document, said that it was the
object manager.  Why dont you call it just that, "OM (Object Manager)".

By-the-way, does the system root act as the OM? Or does it contain an OM?
If thats the case then I'd think there should be a distinction between the
Super Root's OM and the Children's.

- Enrique