[unios] UniOS Definition & Direction

Pat Wendorf beholder@ican.net
Wed, 06 Jan 1999 19:32:05 -0500

From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>

I'd like to take the time to define, in my own words, what UniOS is.  I
do this for the sake of clarification (for myself as well as others),
and so we have a reference definition on which to change or enhance.
This may also give us a direction to move from, as we are not
progressing at a noticeable rate.

Premise #1 - What UniOS IS
   UniOS "standard" is _only_ the specific binary format that the
objects are stored in, and the backwards compatible, well defined,
hardware abstracted objects and drivers that the system is promised to
have on each platform to allow cross platform development.  Essentially,
this is all that we are creating... A new, simple, portable, flexible
yet well defined standard for application development.

Premise #2 - What UniOS ISN'T
   UniOS "standard", is _not_ the boot loader, the configuration
methods, the IPC, the memory manager, the language, object
interaction/sharing/ordering, the executable format, the script format,
the platform, the applications, or the interface.  These can be (are)
all implementation specific.

Premise #3 - What UniOS WILL BE
   UniOS as a whole (project/distribution), is a unified set of #1 and
#2 elements, into a cohesive logical OS.

Premise #4 - What UniOS MIGHT BE
   If we end up with a fragmented UniOS Project, and if every fragment
follows #1, all systems would be application level compatible.

I feel it's time to start working on some standards.  We have, in the
last few months discussed almost every advantage and disadvantage to
every known OS model, and have come to some important, well informed,
logical conclusions. I'd like to state the two that I think everyone was
not be able to choose between, and possibly force a decision out of
everyone, or at least improvement of the document:

				http://members.unios.com/proposed_final_layout.html

If anyone disagrees with these concepts, speak up.

--
 Pat Wendorf