UniOS Definition & Direction

Tril dem@tunes.org
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:31:46 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Pat Wendorf wrote:
> > http://members.unios.com/proposed_final_layout.html
> >
> > Neither of the models presented on that page are enough detailed or 100%
> > correct. They won't do for "final models".
>
> Thank you! :)  You're the first person to even comment on them! :)  Now that
> that's out of the way, how can we improve on those models, or will we need new
> ones?

I think if you take Layout B and use "metaprogramming" for the pink lines
(object communication), that is a diagram of TUNES.

If the pink lines are IPC (or if you just look up at Layoutt A) then what
you have is a microkernel (the low-level drivers are the executive, and
the objects are modules in the microkernel).  What is the difference
between a hardware abstract and an object hierarchy?  I mean, aren't high
level hardware abstracts IN the object hierarchy?  Then you should show
the HLHA as inside the object hierarchy box.  And if you do that, why not
show other things that are in the object hierarchy inside the box as well?
If you don't want to show any contents of the object hierarchy why not
just remove the HLHA box altogether?  Is there a reason your HLHA is
distinct from the object hierarchy?

I'm not sure what the pink lines are, then.  If object communication is
not physical (through memory sharing or message passing), then it must be
virtual (only perceived by the user, as "communicating" objects are linked
together by the system as in TUNES.  I don't think this is what you meant,
though.   (?)

David Manifold <dem@tunes.org>
This message is placed in the public domain.