[unios] Re: Hackers needed

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:02:05 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Pat Wendorf wrote:

> Pieter Dumon wrote:
>
> > > certain things up properly (like web access), and due to his extreme
> > > schedule, I
> > Oh , but setting up Apache is really just a little work, and
> > moreover, Apache is ultra-fast and ultra-configurable.
>
> Yep, I have a local linux box that I experiment on, and apache is very easy to
> set up (relative to other Linux components ;)  Apache is installed, it's just
> not set up for user HTML at the moment

Just use the "UserDir" directive to accomplish this, and with the right
security settings in httpd.conf and access.conf ...

> > > shadowing has NOT been implemented, and the passwd file is accessible.
> >
> > Ha ! Should be done in a minute! One search on altavista should get you a
> > lot of methods. If you have an account, an insite hack is VERY easy.
> > (eg use a search string "+linux +exploits" ).
> > You can also use brute force on the passwd file, off course. How the hell
> > is it possible that shadowing isn't implemented?
>
> Good question... Red Hat 5.2, when you first install it, doesn't shadow the
> passwords.  I know the shadow suite is installed, it's just not implemented.

?? When you choose to install the shadow suite,  everything should work
allright (Well,it does on my RedHat 5.1). I don't understand.

Pieter

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
 pdumon@vtk2.rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon