[virtmach] VM references? (Was Re: bytecodes and stacks)

Manoj Plakal plakal@cs.wisc.edu
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 23:53:23 -0600

Mark W. Humphries wrote (Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 01:17:17PM +0800) :
> BTW, a good taxonomy for interpreter VM models and instruction sets is found
> in the first half of:
> Interpretation and Instruction Path Coprocessing
> MIT Press - ISBN 0-262-04107-3
> Eddy H. Debaere & Jan M. Van Campenhout
> Published in 1990, unfortunately out of print but probably findable

	Are there any (other) good references for virtual machines?
	I can think of several separate books that describe
	some VMs such as the SECD machine used by some functional
	language compilers, the Warren Abstract Machine used
	by Prolog compilers, the Forth VM and so on. But are there
	books devoted solely to VMs? Given that all the Java hype
	is bringing the spotlight back on VMs, are there any
	new books being written?

	Are there any web sites describing various VMs (apart
	from the TUNES URL that was posted to the list a while
	back)?

	Manoj