[virtmach] Test, Hello

thaddaeus.frogley@creaturelabs.com thaddaeus.frogley@creaturelabs.com
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:21:16 +0100

Hi,

I've just subscribed, and although I would usually lurk a while before
posting, by looking at the archives I see there's not much activity at the
moment, so this message is both for me to test that the list, and my mail
filters, are working, and an opportunity to introduce myself, and my
project.

I'm Thad, and I'm working on an alife based game engine for a well know
developer, and I'm about to start work on the virtual machine that will be
used for the agent code within the game.  I've been programming for 13
years, professionally for around 6.  I've written a noddy script interpreter
once, and this will be my first VM.  I have 1 week to come up with a design
/ schedule proposal, based on an initial estimate of a 2 months development
cycle.

Potential target platforms include PSX2, and intel PC (windows), and XBox.
The VM should be fast, and the bytecode compact.
The VM must be robust, even when the scripts running on it are not.
It should provide hooks for a debugger, profile scripts when needed, and
give good error messages when things go wrong.

All in all an interesting challenge.

If the members of this mailing list are interested in hearing about, and
perhaps advising me on this project then I will post questions, thoughts,
ideas and so on for discussion (I don't expect you to tell me what & how, I
can work that out for myself, but I find it helpful to brain storm with my
peers.)

If, on the other hand, this would be inappropriate, or annoying, the let me
know, and I'll shut up and get on with it.  :)

Thad

---
Thaddaeus Frogley
Certified C/C++ Programmer