[virtmach] VM with garbage collection

Maurice Rabb virtmach@iecc.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:01:33 -0600

>Hello list,
>
>I am trying to build a VM for a garbage collected language.
>The byte code will typically contain many references to
>garbage collected objects. This means that the GC must be
>somehow able to distinguish bytecode instructions from
>pointers to GC-able objects.

You know about the needs of your system better than I, however
usually the objects referenced by code (bytecode) are literal
objects, constants, or persistent objects like classes and other
"system objects.  That being the case, all of theses object can be
separated in memory (put in the old old memory) so that they don't
need to be GCed or even recognized my the GC.

Just something to consider.

Good luck!

--Maurice
     Maurice Rabb      Stono Technologies, LLC      773.281.6003

             "enlightened design, invisible technology"