[virtmach] parrot VM?

kyle kyle_hayes@speakeasy.net
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:30:37 -0700

There was a post here about a year ago that asked about the Parrot VM.  There
wasn't a lot of response.  Parrot appears to be turning into a fairly "real"
project now.

There was a bit of Q&A posted about Parrot on the use Perl site and one of
the questions was "register based?".  The response indicated that a
register-based VM is more efficient than a stack-based VM even on x86 (at
least that is how I read it).  The statement didn't make any real attempt to
justify this.  This doesn't really sound right to me and since I'm stuck with
x86 for the forseeable future, I'd like to know.

Is there any further info on the Parrot VM?  The details seem to be
relatively sparse still.  Anyone have any more info?

Are there some other, documented VMs that use registers instead of a stack as
the primary workspace?

Best,
Kyle