[virtmach] parrot VM?

Stephen Pelc Stephen Pelc <sfp@mpeltd.demon.co.uk>
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 11:49:08 +0100

From: Chris Lattner <sabre@nondot.org>
> One very significant drawback of stack-based VMs is that they are
> almost impossible to do meaningful optimizations on.  If your VM
> performs any substation optimization, you will often find that
> you have to translate from a stack-based rep to a register based
> representation anyway, losing any advantages the stack based VM
> gives you.
Please explain this further.

I ask because I have implemented optimising code generators for
stack based token systems for six different CPU architectures,
and my conclusion is that classical compiler technology works
very well with stack-based VMs.

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, sfp@mpeltd.demon.co.uk
tel: +44 23 80 631441, fax: +44 23 80 339691