new article on Bastiat (plus translation!) in QJAE

Mark Thornton mthornton@prodigy.net
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 10:22:16 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C28710.B67C2150

I have just received a copy of the Quarterly Journal of Austrian =
Economics that contains my article "Frederic Bastiat's Views on the =
Nature of Money," and Bastiat's article "What is Money." The original =
Bastiat article appeared in the Journal des economistes (1849) and the =
original translation by David Wells (1877) has long been out of print =
and hard to find. Bastiat has been criticized in recent years for not =
having written much on the topic of money, but in this article he shows =
that he understood money much better than the top monetary theorist of =
today, and certainly better than a Federal Reserve District Bank =
President!

Both are contained in Volume 5, Number 3, Fall 2002. This special issue =
also contains new translations of Hayek and Bohm-Bawerk. I'm sorry that =
I don't have reprints at this time but subscribers and libraries should =
be receiving their copies soon. [shameless self-promotion: you get a =
whole year's worth for less than $30 www.QJAE.org]

Mark

Dr. Mark Thornton
Senior Fellow
Ludwig von Mises Institute
518 West Magnolia Avenue
Auburn, AL 36832-4528
mthornton@mises.org
334-321-2106
fax-321-2119

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C28710.B67C2150

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have just received a copy of the =
Quarterly=20
Journal of Austrian Economics that contains my article "Frederic =
Bastiat's Views=20
on the Nature of Money," and Bastiat's article "What is Money." The =
original=20
Bastiat article appeared in the Journal des economistes (1849) and the =
original=20
translation by David Wells (1877) has long been out of print and hard to =
find.=20
Bastiat has been criticized in recent years for not having written much =
on the=20
topic of money, but in this article he shows that he understood money =
much=20
better than the top monetary theorist of today, and certainly better =
than a=20
Federal Reserve District Bank President!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Both are contained in Volume 5, Number =
3, Fall=20
2002. This special&nbsp;issue also contains new translations of Hayek =
and=20
Bohm-Bawerk. I'm sorry that I don't have reprints at this time but =
subscribers=20
and libraries should be receiving their copies soon. [shameless =
self-promotion:=20
you get a whole year's worth&nbsp;for less than $30 <A=20
href=3D"http://www.QJAE.org">www.QJAE.org</A>]</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mark</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dr. Mark Thornton<BR>Senior =
Fellow<BR>Ludwig von=20
Mises Institute<BR>518 West Magnolia Avenue<BR>Auburn, AL =
36832-4528<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:mthornton@mises.org">mthornton@mises.org</A><BR>334-321-21=
06<BR>fax-321-2119<BR></FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C28710.B67C2150--