[gclist] GC and Mach

Scott.Nettles@LDL.VENARI.CS.CMU.EDU Scott.Nettles@LDL.VENARI.CS.CMU.EDU
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 10:03 -EST

Along with some others I built a version of the SML/NJ that uses
external pagere to allow dirty pages that don't contain valid data
(from-space after a collection) to be droped on the floor instead of
paged out. We also did some other VM stuff. For some apps we saw huge
speedups and basically were able to convert programs that were
disk/paging bound to ones that were CPU bound. Of course if the
original program didn't page, this stuff doesn't help. Cite is below.
I'll make a copy available, sometime soon.

I'm not aware of any other mach X gc work. If there is any I'd like to
know.

Scott

@INPROCEEDINGS{nettles:lfp,
         AUTHOR = "{E}ric {C}ooper and {S}cott {N}ettles and {I}ndira
{S}ubramanian",
         TITLE  = "{I}mproving the {P}erformance of {SML} {G}arbage
                   {C}ollection using {A}pplication-{S}pecific {V}irtual
                   {M}emory {M}anagement",
         BOOKTITLE = "{P}roceedings of the {ACM} {C}onference on
		 {L}isp and {F}unctional {P}rogramming",
         PAGES  = "43--52",
         YEAR  = 1992,
         MONTH  = "{J}une"